Thursday, September 12, 2013

M. Theives v. Police

The parallelism in this movie was extremely well thought out and to me very interesting, I loved this film. The way that the story went back and forth between scenes of the police and the thieves having pretty much the exact same conversations about the murderer was fantastic. This theme really showed the depth and the immense thought that went into making the story whole and cohesive. I felt liked that the story was focused more on the hunt of the murderer rather than a background of him or a mystery to find out who he was. I think that this made the story had to place in a certain genre because it wasn't a mystery, or a detective story; it was instead a story of cat and mouse. However, it had two facets to the chase. The first was obviously the hunt for the murderer by both the police and the criminals, but then the second was between the police and the criminals. The both played off each other to accomplish the end game of catching the murderer, which as we know now backfired on the criminals because even though they caught him, they were also betrayed and all captured together at the end of the film. I also loved how the thieves recruited the help of another union of the city, the beggars, while the police reluctantly had to accept that the people of the city were going to try to capture the murderer themselves, as we see the scene where the old man tries to befriend the young girl and get her home safely but is stopped by the mob of citizens. Each main group, the police and the thieves, had their own supporting cast. These pairs really brought the story together and made the hunt of the murderer have so much depth that it was suspenseful, who was going to get to him first?

1 comment:

  1. I like how you went deeper into the meaning of the film rather than discussing your opinion of the genre. I really liked the parallelisms that you brought to the table.

    ReplyDelete